KCC Trading standards give warnings on Rogue Traders, Scams and Fraudsters operating in Kent and E-Crime scams.

KCC Consumer Protection Website

As well as giving consumer advice, you should also report anything to KCC so that they can investigate and warn others and any new scams and rogue practices.

Rogue traders call on unsuspecting households offering convincing deals to try to get you to agree to having work carried out. If you accept work from a rogue trader you’ll pay much more than you intended for very poor, unnecessary and sometimes dangerous work.

The usual type of work offered includes garden clearance, chimney stack repairs, replacing loose tiles, repairing leaking roofs and tarmac drives. Those who accept work find the price increases or work is left unfinished.

Rogue traders rarely provide paperwork so they can’t be traced once they’ve left your home. Names, addresses and business details are often false and telephone numbers don’t get answered. They have no interest in doing work properly, their only concern is getting the cash and disappearing before Trading Standards or the Police can catch up with them.

Before agreeing to any work it is recommended that you:

To report a problem or concern online go to KKC Trading Standards Reporting  (This connects to Citizens Advice)

or direct to:  Citizens Advice consumer service website

If you have information that could help identify trends or persistent offenders Citizens Advice and Trading standards would like to hear from you.

Citizens Advice consumer helpline: 0808 223 1133

[Relay UK – if you can’t hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say: 18001 then 0808 223 1133]

Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Lines are closed on bank holidays.

You can report:

  • counterfeit products
  • doorstep criminals
  • illegal puppy imports
  • illegal sales of fireworks
  • loan sharks
  • New Psychoactive Substances (lethal highs)
  • out of date food
  • scams
  • under age sales
  • unsafe products

You can also report a problem with a second hand car.

Businesses can contact Trading Standards for business advice.

News on latest Scams